Your Pop Up Space

Hosting a pop up shop is a great way to build brand awareness, loyalty and sales. If you’re looking for ways to make your space really pop then serving food and drink can work really well, especially for short stays and launches. There are of course certain rules and regulations which must be followed to avoid fines and space violations. These include planning approvals, health and environment standards, local government schemes and building codes and this guide aims to direct you in the right direction when it comes to getting the required approvals.

Liquor Licences

No matter which space you’re looking to launch your idea in, there are certain state and national laws, rules and regulations which govern the consumption, serving and sale of alcohol. Popupshopup always encourages you to err on the side of caution by contacting your local Liquor Authority for detailed answers to your queries.

Whether or not you need a liquor licence largely depends on your idea, event, purpose and intention. For example, serving alcohol at an art exhibition may not require any form of licence due to the size of the event and space whereas if you’re looking to operate a pop up bar or food establishment that serves alcohol then you will certainly require a licence to do so.

Most states offer the option to obtain an Occasional/Temporary Liquor licence. This licence allows you to supply and sell liquor to people attending an event or function. An occasional liquor licence can be granted to authorise the sale of liquor for a function being held over a few hours or a number of days.

Useful Links & Resources

As touched on, the rules around serving alcohol vary by your legal jurisdiction. Here are a few useful links and resources to get you on your way.

  • Australian Capital Territory
    Governing Body: ACT Government
    Contact: 13 22 81

  • New South Wales
    Governing Body: Justice Office of Liquor, Gambling & Racing
    Contact: (02) 9995 0300

  • Northern Territory
    Governing Body: Department of Business
    Contact: (08) 8999 5511

  • Queensland
    Governing Body: Queensland Government – Business and Industry
    Contact: 13 74 68

  • South Australia
    Governing Body: Consumer and Business Services
    Contact: (08) 8204 8532

  • Tasmania
    Governing Body: Department of Treasury and Finance
    Contact: (03) 6166 4444

  • Victoria
    Governing Body: Victoria Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation
    Contact: (+61) 1300 182 457

  • Western Australia
    Governing Body: Department of Racing, Gambling and Liquor
    Contact: (08) 9425 1888

Space Defined Usage

Every space featured on Popupshopup features a Space Rules section which usually outlines what can be done with and in the space. The usage is set not only by the landlord but by the relevant local government. They are categorised into four general areas:

  • Retail/shop
  • Office
  • Food & beverage
  • Event

It is important when selecting your space that you are aware that changing the spaces approved usage will require council planning approval. Whilst this is achievable, it is more often than not a very time consuming process.

Planning Approval

Planning approval is required if you wish to use a space for a purpose that it is not currently approved for. For example, if you wish to open a food pop up in a retail premise you will require planning approval.

Planning approval is also required if the space if heritage listed (this will be mentioned on the individual listing page) or if you plan on significantly altering the front street facade (such as demolishing windows and doors to the street).

It’s always a good idea to contact the local government planning office of the city or town the space is located in to see if your idea falls into this category. If you are ever unsure, it’s always best to ask.

Health Department

Each local government has its own health department responsible for ensuring spaces and business in the community adhere to local government standards. For food establishments there are a number of requirements that have to be considered. Each council has different requirements so it’s best to contact your local Environmental Health department to ascertain exactly what is required.

Trading Hours

No matter what the space, it is critical that you follow all mandated trading and delivery hours. These are set by the local and state governments and should be listed on the spaces individual location page. Failure to comply can result in fines by the local council. If you wish to trade outside of these hours (to take full advantage of a short term lease) you need to contact the space owner and your local government.

Building Department

Local governments have building departments responsible for managing construction projects within permitted areas. If your project requires construction or large scale alterations it will need a building license. The approval of a building license requires detailed drawings typically provided by an architect, engineer or other professional. A building license is not required for small scale changes such as:

  1. New furniture
  2. New wall colours
  3. Updated lighting
  4. Any structure that is removable

If you intend on building anything that will significantly change the space (such as new wall or adding a toilet) this will require approval.

For such large scale undertakings Popupshopup recommends employing a professional contractor who will be able to guide you through the construction process. The Popupshopup Services Network has professionals who can assist with exactly this so contact us today if we can help.

Ready to launch your idea?

Find Space